Sunday, January 6, 2013

Playing Music

I love the fact that we don't call what we do as "work music" but rather, "play music." I know that actually making music takes a great deal of discipline and practice, but the goals are to actually play.  Over winter break one of my self-assigned tasks was to watch a few TED talks that I had heard about. Normally I find out about these talks but don't have 30 minutes at that time to watch, and then I forget about them. This time I wrote them down and the first one on my list was a talk about play by Stuart Brown. You can watch the video here. (I had a hard time with streaming from the TED site, so I hit the download button at the bottom of the video and watched it that way.)

I would love to work on ways in which to get my students to play more in music class. Of course, I have basic skills I need to teach them in order for them to have some kind of music vocabulary with which to play, and since I only see them once a week or so, this is tricky. Now I need to find a TED talk about incorporating play into the classroom. Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment