Last fall I learned about a composition competition for the Washington Recorder Society. I thought this would be a good opportunity to work on an original composition for recorder ensemble. Knowing that the deadline would be Feb. 1, 2013, I knew I had time to come up with something.
I have slowly been working on two pieces for four recorders. One is a revamped piece I wrote for string orchestra called Minor Fantasy, and one is completely new which I named From the Sea. My working title for the latter was Dorian since I wrote this minimalist piece in the dorian mode. I knew that wasn't a great title, so today I hunted around on the internet for a little bit and found in two places that Dorian can mean "from the sea" or "gift from the sea".
These pieces are supposed to be 4-6 minutes long for an upper intermediate group. I am not sure what level that is, and I have no illusions of winning any prize, but at least I now have two original compositions that I did not have last fall. Thank goodness for deadlines!
No comments:
Post a Comment