Monday, December 17, 2012

Unexpected Intermission

Yesterday the Claremont Concert Orchestra performed our final concert for the semester. We knew from Saturday night's first incarnation of the concert that we would be done in 50 minutes. I was going to blog about how 50 minutes almost doesn't even seem like a concert, even though we played the fabulous Dvorak's 8th. To make the concert a slight bit longer we also played the Farandole from Bizet's L'Arlesienne Suite #1.

Anyway, something happened in yesterday's performance that I have never seen in all my many years of orchestral playing. One of the students was not there at the end of the Bizet, and I believe he was the timpani player. We cannot perform the Dvorak without timpani, so we begged the audience's patience and waited for 20 minutes for this student to appear on stage and ready to play. I do not know the story behind this event, but I'm sure I'll hear the details at some point.

The one funny thing that happened during our intermission was that one of the horn players started playing Joy to the World, and after a phrase, the rest of the orchestra joined in and played an impromptu rendition for two verses of the carol, much to the audience's delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment