One of the best grades I got in college was from a half-course on Bluegrass music. It was a course designed for non-majors, but I was so taken with the McLain Family Band when they came to Carleton to perform and record Phil Rhodes' Concerto for Bluegrass Band and Orchestra that I had to take the class.
Last night Pomona College hosted a Bluegrass and Old-Time Music concert with resident professor Joti Rockwell and guests Richard Greene and Tom Sauber. Little Bridges was pretty full with an enthusiastic crowd, and even though I was tired, I'm glad I made the effort to go to the concert.
Being at the concert has revived my memories and interest in the McLains, so I started doing a little looking on the internet, and Ruth McLain Smith has a youtube channel with some videos of the family (loving that 1980s hair...) Some of their recording are archived and accessible here.
No comments:
Post a Comment