Sunday, September 30, 2012

Private LA Phil Concert

Out driving today, I was tuned to 91.5 KUSC and the people on it were talking about the first set of concerts for the LA Phil this year. This is Gustavo Dudamel's 4th season with the orchestra and the 9th season in the Disney Music Hall. As the announcers continued, it became clear to me that they were about to broadcast the concert live on the station, so I hurried home so I could listen to it on my home stereo.

On the program today, Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess, the world premiere of Stucky's Symphony, and Stravinksy's Rite of Spring.

I know it would have been much better to have been IN Disney Hall, but I was pleased to be able to enjoy the concert from the comfort of my living room. Steven Stucky discusses his work at the LA Phil website here. It generally takes a listener time to get to know a piece, and sometimes the first hearing is not too favorable to the listener's ear. Stucky's piece is definitely accessible and I hope to find a way to be able to hear it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment