Wednesday, February 18, 2009
A Bigger Orchestra
I am fortunate to have an orchestra at the school where I am the general music teacher. This fall I started with a whole six students, kids who have played at least one year. For the winter concert, I brought in the two beginning cellists to round out my bass section, so I was up to eight. Traditionally I bring in the beginning students after our February concert to round out the orchestra. Today was the first day for the expanded orchestra. I brought in 10 more of the beginners. Now I have 4 first violins, 8 seconds, 3 violas, and 3 cellos. It's a huge adjustment going from everyone playing in unison to everyone playing different parts, and some of my beginners just play by ear (or something) and don't really follow the music. After a few rehearsals, they usually start getting it. As my beginning viola student left today, she said, "That was fun!"
Labels:
teaching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment