Thursday, February 27, 2014

If I Had a Hammer

The recent death of Pete Seeger has brought this childhood hero of mine to the forefront of my thoughts lately. I decided that the kids at Vista need to sing If I Had a Hammer again, and I have pulled out my guitar and started introducing it to the kids. Of course, they immediately take to the song.

I'm surprised (but maybe not so much) that some of the teachers do not even know who Pete Seeger was. But today, in the teacher's room during lunch, I started talking about the song, and the teachers who know the song started singing it, clapping along, with great gusto. The office manager and one of the teachers just looked on, watching us. There was even mention that teachers need to sing this in the talent show in June. For sure, we are going to sing this as a whole school in the next month or so.

This reminds me of the time that I had to introduce Puff, the Magic Dragon to the students. It's probably time I dusted that one off, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment