Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Signs of the Times

The other day I was lamenting to my husband that my students seem to need a personal invitation to show up for a class that they have registered for. Not only have they registered for beginning strings, they have requested a district instrument.

He confided that his first-year college students also seem to need such an invitation. Wow.

Here are the two main excuses I've heard.

"I didn't know when class started." Really, it was on at least two pages that we gave you (including the registration form you signed), and it's listed on the district website, and you could call the school, or ask someone, or something. You need to be PRO-ACTIVE for your own life, people!

"I didn't know if my kid was in." Um... ask. Also, make sure we have your correct contact information. We sent out an email to everyone as well as a phone call. Ball's in your court.

Normally, this is not as much of a problem for me, but this year I had 20 students sign up for beginning strings, and I do not have the energy, or inclination, to seek everyone out.

No comments:

Post a Comment