Last night we, along with hundreds and hundreds of people, attended the 17th annual Scamfest at Bridges Auditorium. We were treated to the music of 12 a cappella groups from So Cal, many from the 5Cs.
The a capella style has really changed over the years, from barbershop to the current texture of a lead singer with a huge consort of back-up singers with prominent beat-boxing. Now, I like this current style, but two hours of the same texture is tiring to my ear. The audience really liked it, and I liked some of the songs, but I was wishing for more diversity of style.
I did enjoy the various choreography of all the groups.
I also noticed that the groups from USC and UCLA were a notch higher in quality (tone and intonation), and I wondered if it might be because there is a greater chance that more of those students are music majors and/or take voice lessons.
I particularly enjoyed The SoCal VoCals (which I heard on the Sing-Off a few years ago) and their rendition of Bottom of the River and Reverse Osmosis and their 15 Step.
No comments:
Post a Comment