Yesterday I went to the first rehearsal of the year for the Harvey Mudd College Gamelan, along with 7 students and two profs. In 1997 I played in the Pomona College Gamelan for a semester, but this one is different in that we read music instead of learning by rote. I thought that might be easier, but it actually isn't, at least at first. I have to learn which notes are which on the various instruments instead of just calling them by a number name. I started out on an instrument reading bass clef and then tried one out in treble.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Gamelan!
Yesterday I went to the first rehearsal of the year for the Harvey Mudd College Gamelan, along with 7 students and two profs. In 1997 I played in the Pomona College Gamelan for a semester, but this one is different in that we read music instead of learning by rote. I thought that might be easier, but it actually isn't, at least at first. I have to learn which notes are which on the various instruments instead of just calling them by a number name. I started out on an instrument reading bass clef and then tried one out in treble.
Labels:
gamelan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment